Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My first serious DIY'ing

So "V" and I took our first adventure into DIY land recently and the results came out pretty well! I had spied Chalkboards all over the internet recently and I've been really wanting to get my hands on some chalkboard paint! We had a large wall that I had no art work for and, no real budget for the art work and "V" thought that would be the perfect place for the chalkboard. 

I drew 'V" a very crude design and off we went to the home improvement store to get our supplies...

First off we picked up 3 pieces of baseboard and a few corner "finial" pieces

I spray painted the baseboards black
We bought a piece of Luan and I primed it 
Then painted it with 3 coats of Chalkboard paint! I used the actual paint instead of the spray paint and I think we ended up with better overall coverage!
We used wood glue and glued all of the pieces and once dry we used finishing nails to keep it all together. A few picture hangers on the back and it was up on the wall!
Here it is! I love it! "V" likes to leave us strange sayings on his way out the door in the morning and I think the kids really like it! It definitely solved the problem of decorating this awkward wall!

1 comment: